Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Random Hockey Ramblings...

Yay! I haven't talked about hockey in forever, so y'all are probably wondering why the hell I'm such a fan of hockey blogs. Perhaps after this post I'll just start another blog. Hmm...

Whatever. In the meantime, I'm absolutely loving hockey this year. Not because of the games I've watched, but because I've actually paid the most overall attention thanks to all of the good and bad blogs out there. Truly, it has forced me to view my own existence differently, so thanks for that.

Red Wings? Kickin' ass, set a record and are schizophrenic, I think. I'm likin' the way they're playing, and they should tighten it up when the playoffs start. As long as they win 2 games for everybody else's one, they won't lose a series, and that's how they've been doing it all year. Not very original, but hey, why fix it?

Devils are my favorites out in the East, and I wasn't one of the folks saying that Brodeur would be phenomenal coming back from his injury, but he certainly has been. Well, he's not the only one on this Devils team that is playing incredibly, and I think the team deserves a lot of credit, but regardless, Good job. Here's to getting that record tonight (right?) and Terry's soon to follow. I hope he breaks 700 wins eventually.

Out West I haven't been listening too much, except that the Sharks have settled into their own mediocrity, and blah blah blah. Wings should get 1 or 2 seed. However, a couple things... Dallas is showing some grit down the stretch. They seem to turn in on better than other teams going into the playoffs, so it wouldn't surprise me if they upset the Sharks if those two tango in the first round. Oh, that Calgary team. Whatever. As far as all Canadian teams except for Toronto go, meh. For the rest, I'm somewhat of a Columbus fan, so Mason, Nash & Hitchcock (sounds like a tv show...) can just keep up the good work, they should be in. Good luck if you make it to Sharks or Wings. Don't care as much about the rest.

Back East, it's Go Devils! I think the Atlantic is the BEST conference in hockey teams-wise. Seriously, you can't beat the energy between the Devils, Rangers, Flyers, Islanders fans, because all of the fans live so close to each other. Pittsburgh is close enough to visit, as well as Boston and Washington, but 4 teams within 100 or so miles brings a cool fan interaction that you just don't get anywhere else. In the Atlantic, I'm actually pleased to see the Pens make a 180 to get back into the hunt, although I really don't see (read: don't want to acknowledge) anybody getting past the Devils this year. Props though go to Shero for getting rid of Whitney and getting a real lineup for them and I like Bylsma. The fans are optimistic, and I can finally enjoy Clark & Heptner (The Suburban Rob Rossis)'s blog again. Not a Rangers fan, but I'm pleased to see Avery back with them, he belongs there. I wouldn't mind seeing Rangers/Devils in the first round. He and Brodeur will be fun to watch.

I think that's all I really have for now... Oh, this perpetually makes me laugh, so click here for the original. I still laugh every time I see it. All the cards are brilliant, but I laugh from deep down inside when I see this...


I'm sorry Pens fans, but that's just too funny to not share. Just to be fair...

Cheers!

3 comments:

The Mick said...

Oooohhhh, Symo! You didn't enjoy us when we were pessimistic? Damn. Can't say I really blame you though. I too sometimes have a hard time reading stuff I wrote in a depressed state after watching Whitney screw up again. Sometimes the downside to having a blog is posts that are reactionary without really thinking things through. But ever since they got rid of Whitney, goddamn we have been excited!!

Symo said...

actually Hept, I read your blog daily, regardless of whether it's good or not! Actually, I do enjoy the pessimism, but you know how fans get when you're a "fan" and you get critical of your team. Not that you guys would know anything about that. At all. Nah.

The Mick said...

Oh no, we didn't catch any flack for saying the Pens were playing like shit. People who have been watching the Penguins for 12 months were very sympathetic to our views and did not express their displeasure in any way.

In all seriousness, the one thing I have learned is to let the comments about us not being fans roll right off my back. The first time I watched the Pens was back in 1987. I was 10 years old. I really got into hockey the next year when my hometown got a minor league hockey team, the Johnstown Chiefs, and my Dad got season tickets. So I've been watching hockey longer than some of the people blogging have been alive. I've seen good hockey and I've seen bad hockey so I'm confident in recognizing the difference.

Try to keep reading over the summer when there is no hockey or football. It should be interesting (i.e. it will probably suck but at least be somewhat entertaining).