Sunday, January 4, 2009

Uhhh, Sid? What the hell was that?

Sidney Crosby, that was embarrasing (fast forward to 2:20 if you want to see the start of the fight). I know Pens fans all over should be cringing watching the replays. I didn't see the game, and I know you said you asked to go, but it sure didn't look like it. Grabbing his jersey (with both hands... aren't you supposed to punch with one?) and yanking him all over the ice like a dog with a piece of rope didn't look very good. Normally both players will have a sort of neutral position before duking it out, honor amongst warriors and all. That was dog with a chew toy. I know you're a young superstar, but as a leader, you should discuss these things with your enforcers before attempting to fire up your team.

I can understand being frustrated. I can understand stress, pressure, the pain of being in a slump (not as a hockey superstar, but I have my days (weeks? months???)), but that was the example the "there should be no fighting in hockey" jerks are looking for to ban fighting. For God's sake man, you practically drove his head into the ice. NO! Bad Dog!!! You deserved every second of the penalties awarded to you (fighting, instigator, game misconduct) that you got. And on top of it all? McLean says he didn't hear any "yes"...

(quotes from McLean, reported from the Miami Herald)
Did you discuss fighting him? "We had not, at any point. It was as surprising to me as it was to you guys."
Did you ever see it coming? "No I didn't."
Was Sidney jawing at you earlier in the game? "Before the face-off, like I told you yesterday, he was saying something but I didn't really hear it. I didn't know what he was saying, didn't really pay attention to it."
Did you ever say yes to him as he said? "No, I mean, I don't know where that came from."

So, what's the deal Sid? I can understand if McLean is having selective amnesia for getting his ass kicked by you, of all people. But, it's not like Crosby won the fight fair or anything. I've been in a couple of those fights. It goes something like this...

Scene: Random club, Anytown USA. There is a gentleman (Man #1. That would be me. I use the term loosely) at the bar, standing not unreasonably close to an attractive female (Woman), at least as attractive as 8 drinks will allow. There is another man (Man #2), standing nearby, leering at the shot girl.

Man #1: Hi! Can I get you something while I have their attention?
Woman: That'd be...
Man #2: Are you!...
(Man #2 grabs patron by the collar, pulls him to the floor, and proceeds to punch Man #1 in the head)
Man #1: But.... ow... ow... hey...
(close scene)

This is what I'm talking about. Enforcers don't just beat the crap out of each other without some kind of code. This "display" of yours may have energized the fans (I absolutely hate that cheering girl in the video. Lori, that had better not be you), but as ANY coach in ANY sport will tell you, you hurt them on the scoreboard. You don't just drive their unsuspecting heads into the ice. I can understand McLean not hearing what you're saying, because you, as the face of the NHL, are saying "You wanna go?". That probably sounded like, "Hey! I like your new skate laces!" You CLEARLY jumped his ass, and NOT in the way a players likes to get jumped. THEN you proceeded to use not one hand on his jersey, but two, like some rapist on a passed out girl at a frat party. You didn't let him stand, you took a cheap shot when he was just beginning to think "Is this guy really fighting me?" And then you drive his face into the ice (both hands?). You sir, and I'm loathe to use that term because you're clearly just a kid, need some counseling or something, because with jerkoff moves like that on the ice, you're going to get creamed out there, and frankly I think you deserve it. Frustration does not justify this type of behavior. Leave the fisticuffs to guys who can. Not to jerks who obviously can't, and shouldn't. That being said...

As for the announcers, I know it's hard to put together good commentary when the moment is happening, but saying things along the lines of "They're trying to send a message that it's going to be physical when you come to Pittsburgh" is saying what exactly? That next time anyone comes to play these guys they should send out their enforcer to drop the gloves with CROSBY? Your Golden Child? What the hell kind of message is that exactly? Yeah, maybe I'm overreacting, but as a Red Wing fan, I respect the talent the Pens bring to the table. This was not talent, this was just awful. I personally think Crosby should get a suspension from the league, but not because of what he did, but because he needs some time out from hockey to get his sh*t together. Your fans are wondering when you're going to score on the power play, not when you're going to take your mediocre #2 center (rossis, all you) who claims to be the face of the NHL taking 20 penalty minutes for a dishonorable hockey fight.

Sidney, I think you're talented and are having a tough time right now. I'd probably feel the same if I couldn't drink. But, you're the face, and this type of behavior is not helping you, your team, or the fans that love the Penguins. Whether they love you in the long run is up to you. Perhaps you should eat breakfast with Mario more often while you're living there.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Symo, honeypie, this was way to easy for you.

Symo said...

Aww shucks ;)

Business Horse said...

I'm going to graduate from the Sidney Crosby School of Fighting.

And then I'm going to punch someone's grandma.

Symo said...

Only if you punch her in the walnuts...