Sunday, June 7, 2009

Good Vibrations

I spent the day before the game at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum in Reading, PA yesterday. They do a WWII re-enactment type weekend, and if you're into warbirds, this event is a must-see. Lots of the people don uniforms or dress in the fashion of that period, giving it a really authentic vibe. Some of these folks take it to the extreme, with wool uniforms on a 90 degree day. Crazy, but if it makes them (and me) happy, then so be it.

From the very start I was receiving "Go Wings" chatter from the folks around, a majority of them Flyers fans. Still, it made me feel good that folks on this side of Pennsylvania are rooting for the Wings, unlike my buddies who live in Jersey who want the Pens to win.

The really cool moment though, was when this truck passed by us..

At the time, my back was to them as they passed me, and one of the guys in the back said "Go Detroit!", and for a moment it felt like I was in France, on this D-Day. It was totally a "Saving Private Ryan" moment for me. But that was when I knew it'd be okay... that the Wings would recover from the sluggishness of playing too much hockey in a short timeframe. That they'd stop missing passes, stop turning the puck over and create more traffic in front. And they did... that was the best game I've seen them play in a long time. Pens meltdown notwithstanding, the guys finally showed up ready to go. Now we get an extra day of rest going into Tuesday. This is it Pens, but I called it in 6 from beginning, and I think I like my chances. Go Red Wings!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A "saving private ryan moment" because a guy in the back of a half-track yells go Wings? Lost me on that one. Regardless, GL to your team. And very cool of those guys to put on that weekend.

Symo said...

I can't expect everyone to understand... it was my moment after all.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, sure, "YOUR MOMENT" sounds... never mind...

SARTH said...

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

Symo said...

Not that kind of moment, but I could use one of those I'm sure.